IT - Technical Writer
November 23, 2022
$57,086 - $67,676
AOPC/IT has offices in multiple locations and is comprised of about 185 employees and is funded by court fees rather than tax dollars. Pennsylvania’s current case management systems support 22,000 end users located at 660 locations statewide. These systems include the Magisterial District Judge System (MDJS); Common Pleas Criminal Case Management System (CPCMS); PA Appellate Court Management System (PACMS); and the Guardianship Tracking System (GTS.) These case management systems are not only integral to the judiciary’s work but to the work of many other state agencies and criminal justice partners – especially law enforcement – who depend on these systems in order to perform their daily duties. Additionally, the department manages the web portal which provides access to tens of millions of cases free of charge to the public and has developed e-filing services and electronic document archival solutions, in addition to the popular PAePay application – which allows people to pay fines, fees and restitution online. A long-term strategic goal, as established by the Supreme Court, is to implement statewide case and financial management systems for all levels and divisions of Pennsylvania’s courts. The IT Department’s priority is to facilitate the creation and maintenance of those case management systems.
- Develops and maintains a detailed understanding of designated Case Management Systems (CMS) and related applications.
- Writes and maintains user manuals, application-level help, quick reference guides, and release notes using the appropriate software tools and following adopted standards and style guides. Evaluates and analyzes documentation deliverables for effectiveness and improvement.
- Develops engaging video tutorials that motivate, educate, and compliment the other materials created for a blended learning program.
- Demonstrates a practical understanding of adult learning principles and the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Performs frequent and ongoing audience-based analysis while acting as a steadfast user advocate.
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts quickly and translate them into clear and concise language for a non-technical target audience. Supports single voice structured authoring.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with project staff on applicable CMS systems. Develops and maintains an understanding of the business requirements, rules, procedures, and job functions throughout the Pennsylvania Courts.
- Works with other technical writers to cultivate innovative documentation solutions, improved methods of delivery, and a viable system for knowledge transfer.
- Proficient with help authoring tools such as RoboHelp or MadCap Flare.
- Bachelor’s degree, PLUS two years of experience in technical management analysis work; or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and / or training may be considered.
- Satisfactory criminal background check required.
- Minimal Travel within Pennsylvania may be required.
- Writing sample submission required.
Unified Judicial System Hiring Policy
The Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania recruits, employs, and promotes the most qualified applicants without regard to their political affiliation, race, color, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, or other non-merit facts or considerations. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants with disabilities as may be necessary to ensure that all applicants are given a fair and equal opportunity to compete for all employment positions. Applicants who need accommodation for an interview should request so in advance. UJS hiring and employment policies and procedures are intended to conform to all applicable state and federal laws governing fair and non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices and are subject to change as necessary to remain in compliance with such laws.
Applicants requiring accommodation, for any part of the application and/or interview process, should contact Human Resources at (717) 231-3309 or firstname.lastname@example.org.