Judge Mary Jane Bowes
January 2022 to December 2029
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Georgetown University, B.A., 1976
- Administrative Wiretap Judge
- Lecturer, PBI
- Elected Judge of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, 2001
- IT Corporation, corporate counsel, 1998-2001
- Private law practice, 1986-98
- Judicial law clerk, Superior Court Senior Judge John P. Hester, 1982-86
- Judicial law clerk, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania Henry X. O’Brien, 1981-82
- Judicial law clerk, Superior Court Senior Judge Harry Montgomery, 1980-81
- Private law practice, 1979-81
Memberships and Associations
- Pennsylvania and Allegheny County Bar Associations, Member
- Advisory Board, Carl G. Grefenstette Center for Ethics in Science, Technology, and Law, Duquesne University
- PBA Appellate Advocacy Committee, Former Co-Chair, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Association Appellate Practice Committee, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Bloomsburg University, Former Trustee and Past Chair, Council of Trustees
- PA Appellate Court Procedural Rules Committee, Former Member
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law Alumni Association, President
- Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, Former Commissioner
- Allegheny County Bar Association Ethics Committee, Former Member
- St. Anthony Programs Board, Former Chair
- Allegheny County Medical Society Foundation, Former Trustee
- Allegheny County Finance and Development Commission, Former Board Member
- St. Clair Memorial Hospital, Former Board Member
- Women’s Bar Association of Western Pennsylvania, Former Co-president
Awards and Honors
- Honorary Alumna, Bloomsburg University, 2022
- Martindale Hubbell AV rating
- PBA Special Achievement Award, 2008
- Pitt Law Women’s Association/Allegheny County Bar Association’s Marjorie Matson Woman of the Year Award, 2007
- Pennsylvania’s Best 50 Women in Business Award, 1997
- Elected to Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 1996
- Article, The Pennsylvania Lawyer, “Up Close and Personal, Video Arguments before the Superior Court,” by Judge Mary Jane Bowes, September/October 2020, Vol. 42, No. 5 edition.
- Article, The Pennsylvania Lawyer, “Persuasive Citation and the Superior Court: The Time Has Come” by Judge Mary Jane Bowes, July/August 2019, Vol. 41, No. 4 edition.
- Article, The Pennsylvania Lawyer, “Thoughts from the Bench,” by Judge Mary Jane Bowes, January-February 2016, Vol. 38, No. 1 edition.
- Article, The Lawyers Journal, Allegheny County Bar Association, “How to Search for Superior Court Memorandum Decisions,” by Judge Mary Jane Bowes, co-authored with Wake Forest Law School Student Megan Bode, September 12, 2008.
- Article, The Pennsylvania Lawyer, “Private Justice or Public Right? Pennsylvania Superior Court Memoranda,” by Judge Mary Jane Bowes, co-authored with Wake Forest Law School Student Megan Bode, September 12, 2008, Vol. 10, No. 19 edition.
- Article, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Appellate Advocacy Newsletter, On Review, “Applications for Reconsideration/Reargument,” by Judge Mary Jane Bowes, Spring 2007.
- Article, “Liability Considerations in Emergency Medical Services: Adopting a Risk Management Approach” Co-authored with Professor Nathan Hershey, University of Pittsburgh, funded by the National Center for Health Services Research, 1978.